Sunday, May 6, 2018

Spring and Snakes

Spring is finally here!
And unfortunately, the snakes are here too.

Some of you may remember several months ago when I told you about my experience with a coral snake in the house. Honestly, I've been a little paranoid since. I really don't want to find another one in the house.

My "backyard" is basically a huge grassy field with a fence dividing the property I live on from a huge field, but one that actually has crops growing in it. There is a grounds guy who mows the field, but with the rain we've had, the grass and weeds are growing like crazy. DH usually walks the perimeter, but he hasn't done it lately because he's already come upon two snakes partially hidden in the grass.  And then yesterday, he was walking the paved road that circles through the neighborhood and came upon the a rattlesnake that someone had run over. I know, that's just three snakes, but that doesn't count the ones his coworkers have come across.

Yes, we have common grass snakes which are harmless, but the snakes that are making an appearance are rattlesnakes, copperheads, and coral snakes. The first two are aggressive, but all three are poisonous. Because of the number of rattlesnakes, DH as has wondered if there's a den around here. I hope not, but I wonder...