Friday, December 15, 2017

Random Thoughts: Coyotes and Christmas

As I sat down to write this blog, the coyotes started singing. Their howls didn't last long. Something must have spooked them but it was a pleasant surprise to hear them while it lasted. This isn't the first time I've heard the coyotes since we moved here last year, but it has been awhile. It probably didn't hurt that the television isn't on, so the house is rather quiet. Maybe they'll sing again.

Ten days to Christmas!
Time is flying. It seems like yesterday we were celebrating Thanksgiving, and now, December is half over. We're actually going to celebrate Christmas tomorrow with the child and his family.I remember when the child was younger and we would spend Christmas traveling between the grandparents and any other family members we had to stop and visit. Both DH and my parents are gone, and most of our brothers and sisters are scattered and doing their own celebrations. Sometimes the holidays just don't feel like holidays.

I've also noticed almost no one saying Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. I remember when a time when even at the grocery store, the cashier would say one of them, but now nothing. People even act surprised when I tell them "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays."

Is it just me, or have the holidays lost some of their meanings? It seems Christmas has become so commercial. The television is filled with ads telling us to buy the latest greatest thing to make the people in our lives happy. I even noticed that the tags on the "Angel Tree" at work listed specific brands of stuff. Has our society become that materialistic?