Sunday, February 5, 2017

Random Thoughts: Planners, Schedules, and Things

It's Sunday morning, and I'm already on my second cup of coffee (and I have a feeling there will be several more cups before I'm done.)

As soon as I have this post up, I'm off to work on Surviving Ivy, Bryant Station Curves book 8.

It maybe Super Bowl Sunday, but because of day job, I have  a lot of writing to do today in order to make the weekly writing goal I've set for myself. Ivy has become one of my favorite characters. She has issues, a colorful way of cursing, and a determination to save her mate no matter what happens to her.

I'm also working on the second Bryant Station Curves box set, which will contain books 4 - 6 (Saving Courtney, Lauren's Mate, and Claiming Harley). The plan is to release it this month in both ebook and paperback. It will be out around the 25th. Because of the time frame, I'm not putting it up for preorder.

Planners...

You either love them or hate them.
It seems like the two biggest planners right now are the Happy Planner and the Erin Condren Life Planner.

I bought a large Happy Planner to try, but for what I needed it wasn't quite working. I've started dismantling it and am turning it into an author's notebook. (I bought the Happy Planner at Hobby Lobby and used a 40% off coupon.) I like the idea of being able to move items around in it. DH got me a hole punch for it, so I have absolutely no excuse for not using the planner.

I haven't tried the Erin Condren Life Planner. I'm leery about spending so much money on something that might not work for me. I love watching the youtube videos of people decorating their planners.

I've always decorated my calendars with stickers, but the new trend has taken it to a whole new level.


So what am I using for a planner?



Currently, I'm using a weekly/monthly planner by Blue Sky (Dabney Lee). I like being able to see the whole month and marking important dates. The weekly views are were I track a lot of information and plan my weeks. I track my daily writing, my top goals, my sales, and blog plans. And I have let my sticker craze go crazy.

Last night, I started setting up next week.

As you can see, I take a horizontal view and divide it into four sections. The decorative box is were I can add additional or special information. The Count is for sales tracking. The next box is for word count and blog stuff. The large last box is top goals for the day and anything else I need to write down.


I've also discovered etsy.com.
The kits I used came from Paper Focus (February Weekly--Happy Planner size) and templovescrafts (Tea Time Kit--Erin Condren size).

I also decorated the following week with the same to kits. I tend to decorate a couple of weeks at a time because I plan ahead. It's something I have to do because of the day job. I've also learned plans are not set in stone. I have to be flexible. That's why I've started setting up weekly word count goals and breaking them up over the seven days. By the end of the week, the spread is covered with writing and often other small stickers have been added. According to DH, it looks like I have a mess, but I can look back on previous weeks and have a really good picture of what I did that week which helps me when I start planning goals for the next week.

The coffee cup is empty, and I need to start work on Surviving Ivy.

Have a great week!!!